Sunday, September 7, 2008

Easy chocolate cake

This recipe is actually called "Six-Minute" chocolate cake in the Moosewood cookbook. I have modified it a little (I think it works better) but it now takes closer to 10 minutes to get it into the oven. This is the chocolate cake I ALWAYS make now. It makes one thick 9" cake layer or 12 cupcakes, but the recipe can be doubled.
  • 1.5 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup cold water or brewed coffee
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a 9" cake pan or line a cupcake pan with 12 papers.

In a bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add the vegetable oil, water (or coffee), and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add the vinegar to the batter and stir until just mixed (you will see pale streaks in the batter where the vinegar and baking soda are reacting.) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

There is also a delicious and easy glaze that goes with the cake.

  • 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 3/4 cup hot water, milk or half-and-half
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

I make the glaze in the microwave, so first I heat the milk (or water or half-and half) for about 1.5 minutes until it's almost boiling. Then I melt the chocolate in the microwave (it takes about 1.5 minutes.) Then whisk the chocolate and milk together and add vanilla. Pour the glaze over the cake and refrigerate!!!

I make the cake a lot for DV and IV to enjoy and use buttercream icing, but if I am going to bring something to a group of women this cake with the glaze is perfect. Total chocolate heaven!!!

PS- This cake is also a pretty cool example of a common acid and base reaction (the vinegar and baking soda) that is used to leaven the cake. So I also like it as a chemist!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! I didn't know you were back to writing on your blog - I'll be reading.

Amanda