Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Low sugar cookies- WFMW

I am not very trusting of sugar substitutes- being a chemist I know what they are and I know what they're not (natural.) So I want to serve low sugar treats for DV as much as the next mom, but I don't want to use Splenda or other artificial sweeteners.

So I have been searching for a good recipe for cookies which just uses only a little sugar. I have found it in "Italian Frosted Cookies" (you have to leave the frosting off for the low sugar effect.) The recipe comes from DV's Kindermusic book with a few modifications:

Italian Frosted Cookies
¾ cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
3 eggs
1
tsp.
vanilla
2 tbsp. orange juice (or apple juice)
3 cups flour
1 tbsp.
baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. (325 convection)
Cream the butter and sugar; add eggs, vanilla, and juice. Combine flour and
baking powder in separate bowl and gradually add to creamed mixture. Knead
the
dough for about 5 minutes. Use tablespoons of dough, roll into lengths
and then
press ends together to form small rings. Let stand on ungreased
cookie sheet for
15 minutes at room temperature. Bake for 15 minutes or
until lightly golden.
Makes 4 dozen.

Note: The original recipe
called for a confectioner’s sugar and water glaze which the hot cookies would be
dipped in and then sprinkles added but these cookies are good plain.

This recipe works for me! The cookies taste a little like sweet croissants. Enjoy! For other Works for Me Wednesday ideas check out Rocks in My Dryer.

No comments: